Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Halloween Party

The TUFE foreign teachers: Alex, Jim, and me.


For Halloween, I worked with another foreign teacher to throw a Halloween party for our students and friends. Unfortunately, because costumes are extremely come by in China, I was the only person who showed up at the party in costume. I arrived late by about 15 minutes, and already, many students had shown up. They were there playing beer pong. I entered the room, saw crowds gathered around two tables, spotted ping pong balls flying around, and groaned. I knew it must have been the suggestion of the frat boys from San Diego State. See their gangsta looks in the photo? Teaching my innocent students beer pong...

I was really surprised that the students were so prompt. Normally, Chinese people in America are fashionably late. "Asian time," we call it. You say 6pm and people show up at 7pm. Yet it seems that Tianjin folks are different. They were there and I, regretfully as the host, was late. When I came in and my students began to recognize me, they grew really excited and even wanted to take pictures with me. It was my five minutes of fame and movie star treatment. Really fun and hilarious and, of course, flattering. After about half an hour though, my jaw began to feel sore from all the smiling and grinning. I had a good time, and my students got a taste of American parties, for better or for worse.



1 comment:

KM said...

So you are a cool American to them. You just have to dress up like one. :)