Sunday, December 7, 2008

Skiing on the Bunny Slopes


I went skiing with some of my students from the university today. For a mere 80 yuan, we got a bus ride, ski rentals, and admission to a local man-made ski slope in nearby Ji county. It's such a weird experience to see brown, dry hillsides, and then suddenly see a patch of white with people skiing (or learning to ski). This patch of white is entirely man-made and very easy. It's a long, rolling gentle slope, so basically the entire ski area is just one big bunny slope. I think some of the Reno and Tahoe bunny slopes are even steeper than this.


It was pretty easy, since I have skied once before in college, and like riding a bike, the knowledge sort of stays with you. I wish there were something a little steeper, but nevertheless, I had a great time. I really like skiing; the feeling of freedom, flight and exhilaration as the wind brushes against your face is so amazing. Because these slopes in China were so easy and tame, we could do all sorts of things, like skiing down in a line, holding onto each other's waists.


Here are some pictures of my students learning to ski and on the way down.


There were long lines for the "ski lift" which is not a typical bench like at other ski resorts, but just a metal bar that you hold onto. You put the metal bar and its attached circular seat-like thing between your feet, remain standing, and the bar drags you and your skis up the hill. It's really more of a ski "drag" than a ski "lift." So rather than wait in line, I just snapped off my skis and walked uphill. Surprisingly, the ski "drag" was so slow that I passed a couple people just by walking. My friends stood in line, and after I'd walked up to the top and skied down, they were still in line for the lift.


No comments: