Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Food poisoning (Warning: Contains graphic descriptions. Readers are advised not to eat while reading.)

On Sunday, I ate at the Ganxun restaurant downstairs from my apartment. I and two other people went there after services on Sunday and had three dishes. One was a taro, sweet potato, grape tomato dish, one was a fried silky tofu dish covered with brown sauce and mixed with meat and shrimp, and one was a stir fried chicken and onion dish. After eating it, I felt uncomfortably stuffed and didn't have an appetite for dinner, but b/c I made dinner plans with friends already, I went anyway and ate bbq kebabs with them. I don't know if it was the lunch or the dinner that didn't sit right, but later on that night, I started having loose stool and feeling chills. The next day, Monday, was my busiest teaching day. I had to teach two classes in the morning, then rush to catch the bus to go to another university, then stay in the district for a few hours until my last evening class with another company. Since I was still suffering from uncontrollable, watery stool and I was out and about all day, I had such a hard time feeling weak, tired, and nervous that I would have an accident all over myself. It was terrible. I felt like I needed to fart all the time, but when I released the fart, watery stool came out, and sometimes you just can't control it and the stale air and foul water mixture just sputters out. (I warned you, it's graphic!) Because of this, I was afraid to eat all Monday long. Whatever water I drank came out of my butt as opposed to the urinary tract.

After I got home, around 9:30pm on Monday. I was relieved to be back with a clean bathroom accessible at any time, but I had to use it even more often. The entire night, I kept waking up, in total about 6 or 7 times throughout the night, to stumble towards the bathroom and let out watery poo. Then I would waddle sleepily back to bed and immediately fall back asleep again. Luckily, I only had one class to teach on Tuesday afternoon, so I stayed in bed resting until mid-morning. The loose stool still lingered, although not as strong as Monday, so I didn't eat much on Tuesday either. Wednesday, I had lunch and dinner plans with students, so I ventured to eat half a bowl of rice noodles for lunch at the student cafeteria and half a bowl of potato starch noodles for dinner. That sat a little bit better, but last night (wednesday night), my stool was also pretty watery, although not as bad as Monday. So today is day 4 of the food poisoning saga, I think I'll just eat a bowl of pork and veggie soup I made last week, since I don't know how clean the cafeteria food is. Best to avoid eating out.

No comments: