Tuesday, November 11, 2008

On some days, Tianjin can be beautiful too.

Since I've been teaching at the university district, which is also near the Tianjin TV tower, I've gotten a glimpse of another, more developed part of TJ. Here are some pics from Tianjin University, one of the oldest universities in the city, on par with Nankai.
A short obelisk-like monument greets you at the main entrance of Tianjin University.

They also have a very pretty man-made lake in the center of campus. I think their lake is much prettier than TUFE's.

A cool art structure I saw in front of a kids' playground on the way to the Foreign Bookstore. It's a great combination of traditional Chinese culture with sculpture (it rhymes!).

Last but not least, a blue-sky framed view of the Tianjin TV tower.


Although TUFE (Tianjin University of Finance and Economics) is off in the outermost southern edge of town, bordering the rural farm fields and such, it has its beautiful moments. I came out of my Friday afternoon class last week utterly amazed at the sunset. I didn't think I could see skies like that in foggy TJ. I think the fall breeze really helps blow away the pollution.

No comments: