Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Comfort Fruit

Last Saturday, I taught the rowdy children at EF again and my day started extra early since they switched my afternoon classes to the morning. From 7:30am (b/c it's a 1 hour commute to EF) to 3:30pm, I was working in some manner or another. The kids' class requires the most preparation and also gives me the most grief. The parents complained about my being just a couple minutes late to class because I had mistaken the start time, since they switched up my classes. In turn, the tactless Chinese "liaison" had a "talk" with me about the right procedures for getting to class and how I should behave so as not to offend the parents. Obviously, she was using the Chinese way that she deals with employees on me. I'm not one of your docile, desperate Chinese employees willing to do anything for a meager 2000 yuan a month. I'm American and I don't take micromanagement, and I certainly won't put in extra time for free. She can take her "we expect our teachers to arrive here at least 30 minutes before the first class" b.s. and shove it. I don't know if it's a cultural barrier or b/c she thinks I look Chinese so I can be pushed more. So that tactless Chinese woman just annoys me a lot. She wasn't the one who interviewed or hired me. The Australian woman Janet was, but Janet's gone to Tibet, so I'm stuck with a micromanaging Chinese slave driver.

But why do I have a photo of a mangosteen for this post? Because the mangosteen completely cheered me up after a long and tiring day. After the 1 hour bus ride back to my university area, I went to the supermarket and splurged. I bought mangosteens for 14 yuan/500 grams. For 14 yuan, I only got about 4 or 5, but I was so excited to take those little purple baseballs home and crack open their juicy, luscious white interior. I still remember the first time I tried them in Vietnam, my cousin bought it for me and I had no idea what they were or how to eat them. She squeezed the red-black ball between her palms until the rind caved in and split to reveal the juicy wedges inside. The taste in your mouth is sweet and mild, with a hint of tartness. It's completely addictive and comforting. I've never had anything like it. So on my tiring, frustrating saturday, I decided to treat myself to this "queen of fruits." The moment I stepped through the door to my room, I immediately dropped my purse and groceries on the bed, tore open the plastic bag containing the mangosteens and cracked one with my palms. I plopped the smooth, cool slivers into my mouth and closed my eyes. It brought me back to the humid, sweaty, hot summers in Vietnam, and back to the carefree happiness of my college days. I felt better immediately. No prozac needed.
In fact, this photo was take after I'd already devoured two mangosteens. I realized that I should quickly document it before I eat them all. Really, these are my favorite fruit in the whole world. Give me a choice between this and chocolate, I'd choose a mangosteen.

No comments: